Comfort, Play & Teach: A Positive Approach to Parenting provides a practical and engaging pathway to Positive Parenting by showing parents how to turn everyday moments into positive parenting opportunities, opening a world of possibilities for parent and child.
It helps parents build their knowledge, skills and confidence about their parenting and child’s development while supporting their child’s social, emotional and intellectual development.
Created by the experts at Invest in Kids, Comfort, Play & Teach translates what the developmental science tells us about child development and parenting into practical, empowering strategies and interactions parents can easily integrate into everyday routine activities and moments.
It is based on three core types of interactions between parents and their children that support a child’s healthy social, emotional and intellectual development and are easily built into everyday routine activities and moments.
How does it work?
Comfort, Play & Teach: A Positive Approach to Parenting turns everyday moments and routines into positive experiences that help to forge a strong parent-child relationship and support the child’s healthy social, emotional and intellectual development.
It uses these natural opportunities for parents to interact with their children rather than needing additional time or planning.
Why does it work?
When you comfort, play with and teach your child, you learn to recognize and support the uniqueness of your child, motivate your child to be all that he can be and establish the foundation of a lifelong warm and respectful relationship with your child.
- Is simple, practical, relevant, easy to understand and to do, with no need for special equipment!
- Is strength-based from the perspective of the child, building on what the child can do.
- Is strength-based from perspective of the parent…it’s not about what the parent is doing wrong, but, rather about what the parent can do.
- Helps parents understand their child’s current capabilities and the kinds of behaviours and skills they should be watching for and supporting.
- Gives opportunity and choice in how to support their child’s development; instead of a rigid prescriptive, it provides strategies to apply to the individual child in an individual situation.
- Elicits a positive reaction from children, which in turn provides strong, positive reinforcement for parents.
- Is intended for everyone, not just high-risk or a specific, targeted group.
- Provides a common language for professionals and parents to use around parenting.
Comfort is the first thing babies need from parents. When you comfort your baby, she learns to feel secure, loved and valued.
Play is the work of children and parents are an essential partner. When you play with your child, he learns to explore and discover the world around him and his role in it.
It is through teaching that parents help their children learn. When you teach your child, she learns how to relate to others, solve problems and communicate.
Throughout the Parenting section of the Invest in Kids website, you will find Comfort, Play & Teach activities for every month of development between the ages of 0 and 5 that you can do with your child. By following these simple Comfort, Play & Teach guidelines, you will build your own knowledge, skills and confidence about parenting and child development, while supporting your child’s healthy social, emotional and intellectual development.