At This Stage
- Children at this age demonstrate more self-esteem, confidence, optimism and enjoyment of daily activities.
- They have become more sociable, and are capable of some play with others, but still need your support to take turns, share and ask for help.
- Three-year olds are better at understanding and following simple, reasonable rules and controlling their impulses.
- Your child's growth may slow down a bit, and you may notice that his eating habits are changing.
- Toilet training is usually completed.
- Language development is still on the fast track, and most three-year olds have acquired a vocabulary of over 700 words.
This is a time to enjoy, and to bask in the rewards of all your patience and effort. Enjoy the daily activities with your child. Although your preschooler is becoming more independent, your encouragement and support are still needed.
Find out more about what to expect.
Comfort, Play & Teach: A Positive Approach to Parenting™
To help you to encourage your child's social, emotional and intellectual development, we have created Comfort, Play & Teach: a Positive Approach to Parenting™. This simple approach is built on everyday activities that are part of your daily routine.
What may seem like the simplest and most automatic activities that you do with your child every day - like putting a bandage on a "boo boo", playing hide and go seek, or cuddling with your baby – are in fact among the most important ways parents can help children reach their full potential.
When you comfort, play with and teach your child, you open up a world of possibilities for her. Through simple activities that are easy and natural to do, you encourage your child's ability to learn and to create, to communicate to love and to trust and to approach life with confidence and enthusiasm.
- When you comfort your child, she learns to feel secure, loved and valued.
- When you play with your child, he learns to explore and discover the world and his role in it.
- When you teach your child, she learns how to relate to others, solve problems and communicate.
All areas of your child's development are interconnected and depend on nurturing the whole child. Comfort, Play & Teach: A Positive Approach to Parenting™ provides a practical and natural way to support your child's healthy development. When you comfort, play with and teach your child, you are encouraging all aspects of his development: