Safe Kids Canada: You can prevent Poisoning
Very young children need you to keep them safe from being poisoned. They often put things in their mouths and taste things as a way of exploring the world.
Many products in your home can poison children or make them very sick.
Did you know?
Keep dangerous products out of sight and out of reach of your child.
Lock up your medicine and cleaning products. Other dangerous products that should be locked up include camphor, pesticides, and iron supplements. Just a few strong iron pills can kill a child.
Keep all cigarettes, butts, and ashtrays away from children. If your child swallows just 1 unsmoked cigarette or 2 cigarette butts, he or she could get sick.
Do not use cleaning products when children are close by. Many children are poisoned with a home cleaning product while a parent is using it (for example, a child might eat oven cleaner while her mother is cleaning the oven).
Keep products in their original containers. Make sure they are clearly labeled. If you move them to another container, your child could eat or drink some by accident.
Keep your young child away from the dishwasher. Automatic dishwasher detergent can cause burns to your child’s mouth or throat.
Learn to identify poisonous household plants.
About child safety caps
Some products have child-resistant safety caps. These have saved some children’s lives. But childresistant safety caps are not childproof. In fact, many children can open them. Keep all dangerous products safely out of sight and out of reach or locked up.
What can cause poisoning?