Parents usually experience many new and conflicting emotions during the first weeks after their baby's arrival. Often it's hard to talk about these unexpected feelings. Sometimes parents may feel foolish or even ashamed about emotions of jealousy, anxiety or even depression, and desperately need the opportunity to share them with their partner.
To keep communication flowing:
- Set a time aside each night to talk about your feelings, both difficult and joyous.
- Share things your baby has done that day and enjoy the experience together.
- Note things your baby can do and write them down.
- Talk about thoughts and hopes for your baby and how this can be achieved.
- Discuss changes in the budget and how to deal with these.
- Make decisions together about the changes in your lifestyle that need to be made.