Couples share in the care of their babies in different ways. In many families, fathers are very involved with their babies and find that, with a little experience, they are capable of caring for their infants. Research shows that fathers play a very special role in their children's lives.
Here are some ways to help this relationship along:
- Mom needs to:
- make sure she is not taking over,
- notice Dad's caregiving, and let him know how great it is for baby, and
- encourage Dad to have some time alone with baby.
- Practice really helps fathers feel more relaxed and competent with their babies.
- Dad can be involved with breastfeeding time by:
- bringing baby to Mom,
- changing baby,
- cuddling in beside baby and Mom during a feeding,
- burping baby, and
- settling baby down after a feeding.
Printer Friendly Version